- Title Pages
- A Note on Orthography and Language use
- Part I Common Ground for Arts and Popular Entertainments: “Every night there are entertainments”
- Chapter 1 Culture in Common
- Chapter 2 Hybrid and Popular Entertainments
- Part II The Maelstrom of Modernity: “Protecting and ennobling our family pusaka”
- Chapter 3 Modern Drama, Spoken and Sung
- Chapter 4 Music on the Market
- Chapter 5 Ethnic “Awakenings”
- Chapter 6 Bali, Cultural Tourism, Modernized Arts
- Chapter 7 The Heyday of Popular Theater
- Chapter 8 Performing the Arts of Nationalism
- Part III Occupation and “Greater Asian” Modernity: “No more musicians, no more writers”
- Chapter 9 Toward Greater East Asian Culture
- Chapter 10 The Cultural Center
- Chapter 11 Domination and Resistance
- About the Author
- Inventing the Performing Arts
- University of Hawai'i Press
University Press Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us .