- Title Pages
- Part One Kabuki’s Foreign Adventure: 1931–1939
- Chapter One Prelude to War
- Chapter Two Kabuki and the Manchurian and Shanghai Incidents
- Chapter Three Kabuki and the Marco Polo Bridge Incident
- Chapter Four The Darkening Storm
- Part Two Fruits of Victory: 1940–1942
- Chapter Five Kabuki and 2,600 Years of Imperial Rule
- Chapter Six Confrontation with America and Britain
- Chapter Seven Japan and Kabuki at the Zenith
- Part Three Defeat and Survival: 1943–1945
- Chapter Eight Kabuki and Japan’s “Decisive Battle”
- Chapter Nine Kabuki Is a Luxury
- Chapter Ten The Agony Ends
- Chapter Eleven War Plays in Kabuki—a Retrospection
- Part Four Kabuki Outlasts the Occupation: 1945–1947
- Chapter Twelve Inventing Classic Kabuki
- Index of Play Titles in English and Japanese
- Index of Kabuki Actors’ Names in the Text
- About the Author
University Press Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us .